Kannad Marine Products | EPIRB | PLB | SART | Survivor Recovery System
The SafeLink R10 is specifically designed as a personal search and rescue locating device, it enables those on board a vessel with an AIS chart plotter* to quickly and efficiently locate and retrieve a missing crew member.
The SafeLink R10 transmits target survivor information, including structured alert messages, GPS position information and a unique serialised identity number back to the onboard plotter*. An inbuilt high precision GPS receiver provides accurate position information to assist in quick recovery of survivors.
Kannad Marine R10
Introducing the SafeLink R10, the first of its kind, a personal AIS (Automatic Identification System) device designed to be fitted to a lifejacket and assist in Man Overboard recovery.
The SafeLink R10 transmits target survivor information, including structured alert messages, GPS position information and a unique serialised identity number back to the onboard plotter*. An inbuilt high precision GPS receiver provides accurate position information to assist in quick recovery of survivors.It will transmit continuously for a minimum of 24 hours and has a 7 year battery storage life.
It also features a flashing LED indicator light; to aid detection at night and a self test facility with battery use indication.
Yachting Monthly: "If you are sailing solo use a PLB, but for larger crews the AIS beacon seems to trump it"
Yachting World: "This AIS beacon really shines"
Boat Fishing Monthly: "A Survivor Recovery System which uses AIS to automatically contact the crew member’s vessel gives the greatest chance of survivor location and recovery"
Shipping and Marine: "Kannad Marine's R10 SRS is the must-have personal device"
How It Works
Carrying a SafeLink R10 is a must for every safety conscious sailor. using this simple to operate, yet state of the art new device ensures the ultimate chance of retrieval in a Man Overboard situation. View the demonstration.
How SafeLink R10 Works
- SafeLink R10 must be mounted on a lifejacket using the attachment clips provided, prior to going to sea
- R10 is activated manually in an emergency situation
- A unique emergency alert is transmitted to all AIS receivers and AIS enabled chart plotters within a 4 mile radius (typical)
- An AIS SAR emergency icon signals the requirement for urgent help in a Man Overboard situation.
- Precise target survivor information including GPS position becomes viewable when the chart plotter* cursor is positioned over the emergency alert icon Provides exact location, range and bearing to locate person(s) in need of assistance.
- The SafeLink R10 can be manually activated in two easy steps; when installed in the lifejacket the orange safety tab should be released, this ‘arms’ the R10 ready for use. To use, first inflate the lifejacket. When it is inflated, pull the orange tab downwards to pull the red cap off the R10. This will deploy the antenna and automatically switch ON the R10 SRS.
- If professionally* fitted to a lifejacket, the R10 can become semi-automatic in operation; the action of the lifejacket inflating triggers the activation of the R10 (see below).
Automatic Activation Supported Lifejackets (PFDs)
Providing it is professionally fitted, by the lifejacket manufacturer or one of its authorised service centres, the R10 can be made to activate when the lifejacket inflates. This makes the R10 as automatic as the lifejacket, activating as a result of the lifejacket being inflated.
The lifejackets currently authorised are:
Fitting to all other makes and models of lifejacket is at the owner’s discretion and should only be done for manual activation, as shown in the instructions supplied with the product, or view the following video guide.
|Environment||AIS message transmitted||Message 1 (UID, GPS position, SOG, COG, UTC) Message 14 (SART-ACTIVE or SART-TEST)|
|Sealing depth||immersion to 5m (16.4 ft)||GPS receiver|
|Operating temperature||-20°c to +55°c (-4°f to +131°f||GPS type||50 channel|
|Storage temperature||-30°c to +70°c (-22°f to +158°f||Antenna type||ceramic patch|
|Battery||GPS position update||every minute|
|Type||6v Lithium Metal||Physical|
|Replacement||By service centre||Size (D*W*L)||27*47*124mm (1.1" * 1.6" * 4.7")|
|Use||logged by microcontroller||Weight||120g (4.23 oz)|
|AIS Transmitter||First Transmission||After 10 seconds (no GPS)|
|Frequency||AIS channel 1 -161.975MHz, AIS channel 2 - 162.025MHz||Range||4 nautical miles (typical)|
|Power||2W nominal||Secondary location||Flashing white LED|
|Transmit antenna||Sprung whip||Part Number:
Safelink R10 SRS retail pack